Chemicals[edit | edit source]
Sodium bisulfate[edit | edit source]
Also known as sodium hydrogen sulfate.
This is sold in a fairly pure form as "pH minus" for swimming pool maintenance. E.g. the MSDS for "Poolife pH Minus" says it's 91.5 to 94.7% sodium bisulfate and 4.8 to 8.0% sodium sulfate.
Hardware[edit | edit source]
- Brick Labware - Frisco, Texas, USA
- 3D printed labware. Mostly tube holders but a few other interesting things.
- Focused on teaching supplies. Stocks a bunch of basic equipment.
- Gaudi Labs Shop - Lucerne, Switzerland
- Open Electrowetting system (OpenDrop), Spectrophotometer (fiber, visible only), G-code to analog converter, all open hardware
- IO Rodeo - Pasadena, California, USA
- Open Hardware Colorimeter and Potentiostats
- The Odin - Austin, Texas, USA
- Nice selection of hardware, wetware and reagents. Ships to individuals. Banned from Germany (I think)
Services[edit | edit source]
Sequencing[edit | edit source]
- Whole plasmid or whole bacterial genome sequencing
- Whole plasmid starts at $15
- Whole genome starts at $90
- Free shipping if you drop at one of their drop boxes (there's one on Stanford's campus)
Plasmids and strains[edit | edit source]
- Vast library of plasmids
- Large collection of strains.
- Request up to 24 per year free of charge.
- Vast collection of strains.
- Intermittently sells open wetware plasmids and strains on etsy or twitter
- Made an open library of E. coli plasmids for making various colors
- Focused on teaching supplies and stocks a small selection of strains and plasmids
Reagents and consumables[edit | edit source]
These will be mostly US based businesses.
- Algae cultures and a few related reagents and consumables
- BioBasic - U.S. and Canada
- Very affordable. E.g. miniprep kits for under $1 per reaction
- Ebay seller. Loading dyes, ladder mixes, syringe filters
- Smaller selection than the larger companies but aimed toward small labs and affordable.
- Sells to anyone, though I believe they got banned from selling in Germany.
- Has a built-in comparison shopping tool with ordering.
- Used to be the go-to tool for Counter Culture Labs but started charging $100 per user per year for non-profits just for access
- Cheap but needs commercial address and sometimes requires more for some chemicals (even sometimes very safe ones).
Fabrication services[edit | edit source]
Lasercutting[edit | edit source]
Note that PCB manufacturing companies will sell metal solder paste stencils which might be usuable if only thin metal is required.
- Plastic, wood, rubber, leather, fabrics, cardboard, paper
- A bit pricey but local to Oakland
- Instant online quote generation
- oshcut - Metal only lasercutting
- Great choice of materials
- Up to 1" steel and aluminum! Some materials limited to about 0.13" thickness
- Affordable with instant quote generation