This is a list of bio-relevant open hardware.
Air Quality Monitoring[edit | edit source]
- Monitors PM
- Parts are about 50 euro
- Instructions in German
- Unclear what it measures (neither website, github nor MIT news article mention this)
- Looks like PM, humidity, pressure, temperature and an unspecified gas sensor from Alphasense (the BOM doesn't say which)
- Parts are about $300
- Smells like MIT's marketing department at work again
- Senses PM, CO2, temperature and humidity
- Kit available for purchase at $67
- Not entirely certain how open this is.
Bioreactor[edit | edit source]
Gel electrophoresis[edit | edit source]
- Above link is for the box and casting tray. The power supply is here.
- Backup archive of this project available on archive.org.
- Open design for a nice box and casting tray.
- By Tobias Wenzel from University of Cambridge, Cavendish Laboratory
- Costs about $90 for the lasercut parts from Ponoko
- Unfortunately the parametric feature only works via a proprietary web app that requires an account
Liquid handling robots[edit | edit source]
- Gaudi Labs OpenDrop - Open electrowetting system
- Open hardware/software and can be bought in the GaudiShop
- Open hardware/software pipetting robot developed and sold by the OpenTrons company. Discontinued but feasible to build.
- Above link is for hardware only. Software is available here.
- Opentrons OT-2 - Partially open
- Pipetting robot developed and sold by the OpenTrons company
- Software is open source but hardware is not.
- Full eagle board and schematic files available but no license specified. Little mechanical documentation. No pipette mechanical designs available.
- Above link is for hardware only. Software is here.
- Fully open hardware and software. Development is currently in progress.
- Updates are being posted to the GOSH forum
- Developed by naikymen
Microscopy[edit | edit source]
- High precision electro-mechanical positioning microscope
- Webcam microscope for yeast cell counting
PCR - qPCR - LAMP[edit | edit source]
- Open hardware/software and can be bought in the GaudiShop for 99 euro
- This is probably the most "make it out of scrap you have sitting around" PCR design
- Magnus qPCR (incomplete?)
- Seems to have gotten part of the way to a prototype but no updates in two years
- Also has a JOGL page
- Based on OpenPCR but smaller, easier to build and with updated software (no Adobe AIR)
- Available to buy on their webshop for around $500
- The original open PCR machine. No longer being sold.
- Probably the first open hardware qPCR machine. Seems nice but $5800 for the single channel version
- Appears to no longer be open hardware? (though it definitely was when released)
- Open source qPCR and LAMP machines
- Overview and general info on the official website
- Some info on their JOGL page
Other[edit | edit source]
- Open designs for many pieces of lab equipment: Microscope, incubator, centrifuge, water bath, scale, hood, etc.
- Source available, license unknown. Available for purchase (Jan 2023)
- OHL SAUCE Centrifuge (in French)
- An open hardware design based on the whirligig centrifuge based on the Paperfuge