How to start a DIYbio space
From Counter Culture Labs
A biohackerspace is first of all a hackerspace. Don't reinvent the wheel - there is lots of advice out there for how to start a hackerspace:
- Hackerspace Design Patterns - based on the excellent presentation on Building a Hacker Space at the 2007 Chaos Communication Congress
- How To Start A Hackerspace - 7-part series by Eric Michaud on adafruit
- Hackerspaces and Money: Five Approaches - nice overview by Nick Farr on hackerspaces.org
- Founding a Hackerspace - This document also contains a very interesting set of interviews with people from Noisebridge, Hacker Dojo, BUILDS, Sprout, and NYC Resistor
- Made in Baltimore - excellent set of articles on how to build a (very large!) makerspace in Baltimore. Not necessarily 100% applicable to small biolabs, but definitely worth a read!
- How to Make a Makerspace - Practical advice from the folks at Artisan Asylum, including financial worksheets and more.
- How to Build Your Makerspace - very kid and education oriented
Of course, trhere are also some bio-specific issues: